top of page
Chat with your Pro, and mail your items to them (free of charge)
Consignment vs Instant Buyouts: Which one is right for you?
If you're reading this, chances are you're trying to pick between a consignment match and an instant buyout offer, we're here to help! Below is a fair comparison between Consignment and Instant Buyouts on several key points.
• Instant Buyout payouts can be lower, but they are faster and more guaranteed.
• Consignment payouts can be higher, but they can take up to 90 days to materialize and not all the items are guaranteed to sell.
Speed of getting paid
• Instant buyouts are fast and quick, you will get paid within 3 days of your lot being delivered to the buyer.
• Consignment generally takes place over a period of 90 days, and can be extended beyond that in some cases.
• With Instant buyouts, you will earn the amount you see, the payout is not an estimate but a solid offer.
• With consignment, the payout value is an estimate, and may be lower due to market fluctuations and the possibility of some items not selling.
So, which one should I pick?
The rule of thumb suggests that if you get an Instant Buyout Offer that's worth 40-50% + of the consignment payout estimate, it may be worth taking the buyout offer since it will provide the funds upfront and will guarantee you a minimum return that you're happy with. But if you feel like the difference is very large, it may be worth being more patient and going with the consignment option for higher payouts.
bottom of page